Wednesday, July 7, 2010

CoHoops Q & A With Future Longhorn Myck Kabongo

Posted by CoHoops DeAnte Mitchell
Last year, Myck Kabongo was the youngest player on the Canadian Basketball team. Now, Kabongo is touted as one of the best point guards in the 2011 recruiting class.


Kabongo has overwhelmed a lot of scouts with his ability to see the court. That also comes with elite ball-handling skills. He often sends defenders to the floor with quick crossovers, not to mention, he has the ability to finish afterwards.


He is equipped with a nice stroke and his range is unlimited. In my eyes, after his last year of high school, Kabongo will be the No. 1 overall point guard.


Kabongo is a proven leader, playmaker and an all-around talent. He has verbally committed to playing for Rick Barnes and the Texas Longhorns.


The future Longhorn Kabongo sat down with Collegiate Hoops to chat about the offseason and his basketball future.


How are you today?

Myck Kabongo: I'm doing alright, how about yourself?

I'm doing well, how is the offseason going for you?

Myck Kabongo: It’s going great; I've been going to a lot of camps and training just trying to get better, really!


Tell me a little bit more about the camps you've attended

Myck Kabongo: It’s been going well, I've learned a lot from all the camps I've attended. It’s always good to go to camps where players are all from different places and come into one camp. So it’s been really fun.

How well do you think you stacked up to the opposition? 

Myck Kabongo: I think I did well. I've really worked hard all summer on my game so coming into these camps I've been real confident and it has shown while at camps, I think.

Everybody knows how good you are on offense. But how good is your defense?

Myck Kabongo: My defense I think is better than my offense. I really take pride into defense. I take it personal when someone scores on me, so I really love shutting down the other teams go to guy.

Do you think your defense advanced playing in camps?

Myck Kabongo: Most definitely because you’re playing the best.

Are you where you thought you would be as far as improvement?
Myck Kabongo: No not at all I feel like you can always get better.

What are you mostly trying to improve?

Myck Kabongo: Really everything, because nobody is perfect at anything.

How different has this offseason been opposed to the last?

Myck Kabongo: Not really different I stick to the same thing because it has worked. Every year I think I've gotten better over the summer period, doing the things I've done in the past.

A lot of college programs have interest in you, but you chose the Texas Longhorns. Tell me about that decision. 

Myck Kabongo: It was really easy because of the legacy they have over there and I just wanted to be a part of something special. I've built a great relationship with Coach Barnes and it has been great building relationships with the other coaches as well. And the chance to play with my brothers Tristan Thompson and Corey Joseph was also something I didn't want to pass up.

What was the recruitment process like?

Myck Kabongo: It was really easy because I didn't have to go through the crazy stuff other recruits go through. I made my decision early before other schools had a chance to recruit me hard.

What is more exciting, scoring or setting up your teammate? 

Myck Kabongo: Most definitely setting up a teammate, because seeing them happy makes me happy! So setting up my teammate for a basket comes first I’m a point guard. Now, if I was a combo guard I'd be happier scoring the ball. (laughing)

In crunch time, your team needs the basket, who takes the shot?

Myck Kabongo: I could tell you the ball is in my hands and I'll create something. If it's setting up a teammate, getting to the cup or coming off a ball screen for a shot, it will come down to the ball in my hands.

Growing up, who would you say you modeled your game after?

Myck Kabongo: Really, I started late but in Toronto coming up I looked up to Junior Cadougan who's now at Marquette. He really was the face of basketball in Canada, so I looked up to him.

You've been touted as the second-best point guard in the 2011 recruiting class. Is being  the No. 1 point guard something you look forward to?

Myck Kabongo: It most definitely is because as a basketball player you always want to be the best. So that is something I got my eyes on.

In your last year of high school, what are some of the goals you've set for next season?

Myck Kabongo: I’ll be attending Findlay Prep next year, so my goal is to just have an undefeated season.

In five years, what kind of player will you be?

Myck Kabongo: I really don't know, but I'll work towards being the best I can be.




Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the comments clean folks!