Thursday, June 24, 2010

Collegiate Hoops Goes One-On-One With Future Blue Devil Tyler Adams

I want to thank Tyler Adams for taking time out of his busy schedule to give me this interview.


Tyler Adams is a highly-touted recruit out of Brandon, Mississippi. He attends Brandon High School and is currently ranked amongst the best in the country. He has committed to playing for the Duke Blue Devils in the 2011'' season and is thrilled about the opportunity. Collegiate Hoops got the chance to hold a phone conference with the Mississippi star.




How is the off-season going?
Tyler Adams - It’s going pretty good. Every since school been out, I just have been trying to get in better shape by working out a little bit. I just came from the NBA Players Association Top 100 on Sunday.

What are your typical workouts like?
Tyler Adams - I woke up about 7:30 AM and ran a mile and a half or two miles. Then I worked on my agilities. Then just a minute ago I left the gym where I got some shots up, free-throws, different kinds of shots, and post-moves.

So would you say your jump shot is what you’re trying to improve this off-season?
Tyler Adams - Yes sir.

What else would you say you were trying to improve?
Tyler Adams - The main thing I’m trying to improve is increase my range to 15 feet that way I can knock it down consistently when I’m open. I’m just trying to work on getting in better shape but I think I’ve done a good job of that during this last month.

So would you say most of your time is devoted to basketball?
Tyler Adams - Yeah

How long have you been playing basketball?
Tyler Adams - I’ve been playing basketball since I was about seven or eight.

Would you consider your skill-set raw?
Tyler Adams - Yeah I do. I think I got a pretty good skill set. I think I got a pretty good basketball I.Q; I understand the game well.

What kind of game do you think you can bring to the Duke program?
Tyler Adams - I think I will bring a guy who is willing to and will bang, and a back to the basket scorer. I think I will also bring rebounding too.

A lot of people are saying you are very strong around the rim and you can rebound the ball well. But they don’t really bring up your offense, is that something you need to improve?
Tyler Adams - Yeah, it’s something I definitely need to improve.  But I think over the last course of the month or so, I really improved because I had two or three real good offensive games during the NBA Players Association Countdown. My last AAU trip to L.A I think I had a pretty good offensive performance. The main thing I been working on is being more aggressive. It’s not like I can’t score, it just I haven’t been as aggressive as I should have been.

How do you plan on handling the transition from high school to college basketball?
Tyler Adams - I plan on working really hard but I think I’ll be okay though. I know I will need a different mindset from what I had in high school when I’m going to college.

What is your main goal heading into your senior season in high school?
Tyler Adams - Some of my main goals are to average 25 points, 15 rebounds and win the state championship.

Do you think you can be a McDonald’s All-American?
Tyler Adams - I don’t know, I really haven’t thought about that

How does it feel to be nabbed as an ESPNU Top 100 recruit?
Tyler Adams - It feels pretty good, but I really don’t pay much attention to rankings. Because once you get to college, none of those rankings are going to matter. What’s gone matter is who worked hard and what you do in college.

Apart from all the teams that recruited you, what made you choose Duke?
Tyler Adams - I felt like Duke was the best fit for me.  Coach K is the best college coach and people around me said that he can develop you into the player that you need to be. Then they have a good dental program and he does a good job at getting you to the next level.

What kind of role do you think you will be playing in the offense?
Tyler Adams - Mainly, just a back-to-basket scorer, and offensive rebounder. It depends on who they will throw the ball to in the post with the back-to-the basket making a play. Whether it’s making a good pass or putting the ball in the hole.

When you get to Duke, what should the fans expect from you?
Tyler Adams - They should expect a guy who loves to have fun and smile on the court.  A guy who is gone bang and play hard all the time.



Interviewed by DeAnte Mitchell


Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the comments clean folks!