Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Wells Headed to Maryland

Dezmine Wells, a 6-5 guard from Raleigh, North Carolina that attended Hargrave Military Academy (VA), expects to enroll at Maryland following his expulsion from Xavier.

Wells was expelled from the University amid sexual assault allegations that were later not pursued.

After being expelled, Wells had to find a new home and a lot of schools started to recruit the former Rivals four-star guard. Kentucky, Ohio State, Louisville, Oregon, Memphis, Maryland and plenty others showed interest.

However, when it came down to a final decision, four made his shortlist. He was expected to decided between Kentucky, Memphis, Maryland and Oregon after visiting each of the schools.

Yesterday, he released a statement and made his school of choice known. "The last couple of weeks have been the toughest time in my life for my family and I. I've learned that it is a major responsibility that comes with being a student athlete at all times," Wells said in the statement released by his Twitter account. "I'm thankful that god has blessed me with a second opportunity to continue my education. I would like to thank UK, UM, UMD, and UO for their recruitment and interest in me as a student athlete. After careful consideration with my family, I've decided to attend the University of Maryland."

At Xavier, Wells started 32 games and averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game in 26 minutes of action. He was also efficient shooting 50 percent from the field and 37 percent from three point range.

Maryland adds an aggressive guard that can slide over and play on the wing if needed. He's expected to sit out a year due to NCAA transfer rule, unless the NCAA grants Wells a hardship transfer waiver.

137790_Shop the UA Spine Running Shoe. This Is How We Run.
Join me on Google+FacebookTwitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the comments clean folks!