Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Embiid Getting High Major Looks

Joel Embiid, an emerging center from Yaounde', Cameroon, has a host of high major programs courting him. It'll be hard to miss Embiid this high school season. The 7-1 center from the Rock School in Gainesville, Florida, is emerging as one of the top bigs left on the board in the class of 2013 and there are still a number of college programs still interested in seeing him this year.

Embiid is claiming offers from Florida, Texas, Marquette, DePaul, Vanderbilt, Virginia and VCU among others. Three more high major programs are interested but have yet to offer. "UCLA, Louisville [and] Kansas haven't offered me yet," Embiid said. "I'm still waiting."

Still relatively new to the game, Embiid hasn't taken the neccasary steps to qualify just yet but that hasn't kept programs from backing off. He plans to the SAT next week and once he gets the score he needs, then he'll start taking some visits.

Embiid exploded on the recruiting scene. He has good size, makes noise defensively and his offense is developing. "I can post, grab boards, handle the ball and shoot," he said. "I can also pass the ball but I'm still working on that."

He came to America from Yaounde', Cameroon and he was put in position to learn the game under one of the best coaches on the high school level in Kevin Boyle of Montverde Academy in Florida. He learned a lot under coach Boyle, which helped him breakout this summer.

After transferring to the Rock School (FL), Embiid has the chance to build on the hoopla that was created this summer. The Rock School was a NACA (National Association of Christian Athletes) National Finalist in 2011, Sweet Sixteen District Championship in 2010 and got to the State Final Four, won the Regional Championship along with the District Championship. He will have the chance to compete against some of the best in the state along with a chance to compete for a championship.

Meanwhile, his game is getting better but he hasn't put his foot on the break and continues to work to get better. "I work a lot on post moves and handle [with] the ball in the post," Embiid said. "I also work on footwork for post moves. I really like watching Hakeem Olajuwon."

Embiid offense is developing and once he figures it out, he can be really scary. He's a prospect that hasn't played basketball his whole life, not even for two years yet. His learning curve was steep and he's continued to make the most out of his skill set.

"I started to play basketball last year but I trust myself," Embiid said. "I know that I can be great if I keep working hard, and I will."

Join me on Google+FacebookTwitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the comments clean folks!