Monday, July 30, 2012

Matthew Atewe Taking it Easy

Notre Dame Prep typically rounds up some of the best talent across the country. With another strong roster ready to head into next year, the 6-9 forward Matthew Atewe, is probably one of the more intriguing big men on the roster.

The defensive presence has a growing game and plans to continue to expand on his offensive game. He played his AAU ball with the Northern Kings this summer and represented Canada in both the Nike Global Challenge and the U18 FIBA qualifiers. "It was a good. I had a very fun time playing with my guys from Canada," he said. "I think I improved a lot. It was a positive experience."

Following a successful July live period, the talented big is set on relaxing and hasn't planned any college visits. "Nope, not right now," he said. "I just want to relax and be with my family before I go back to school."

Most importantly for the developing big man is that he has plenty of options. He has a bunch of offers with high major interest, as well. "I got offers from Kansas State, Auburn, Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Southern Mississippi, Duquesne, Charlotte, Marshall, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky and others," he said. "With interest from Marquette, Purdue, Illinois, Butler and many others."

Despite finishing up his final AAU season, the 2013 big isn't planning to narrow down his list anytime soon. He mentioned that, "They're all recruiting me pretty hard," referring to the schools in his recruitment, also adding, "I have no favorites."

Meanwhile, he does admit that he's not going to put a timetable on his decision. He could potentially announce at anytime. "I'm not sure," he said. "I have no timetable, just when the time is right."

Join me on Google+, Facebook & Twitter