Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Travis Jorgenson Making a Name for Himself

There are those who question Travis Jorgenson's (Rock Bridge HS, MO) size, but no one questions his ability as a basketball player.

Jorgenson has started to become one of the hotter names regarding point guards in the class of 2013. Just last week he picked up scholarship offers from Boston College and Virginia, which are the first high-major offers for the 5-11 guard.

"It's a great feeling," he said of picking up ACC offers. "It just makes me want to work even harder and continue to get better."

Jorgenson also has offers from Central Michigan, Colorado State, Creighton and Santa Clara.

The process that leads to his final decision will be long and certainly not easy. "I know I don't want to rush anything and make a decision that I may regret," he said.

"Right now, since there is a lot of time left in the recruiting process, I'm just going to wait and keep all of my options open until I find the right fit for me."

Arkansas, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, and Tennessee are among the other schools that have shown interest.

Jorgenson said Boston College and Creighton have expressed serious interest and stand as the two programs recruiting him the hardest.

He does plan to take more visits after July but he's not sure where yet. "Yeah," he said of wanting to take more unofficial visits. "I'm not completely sure where yet though. I'll have to talk to some coaches and my parents about it."

Jorgenson isn't a hot name on recruiting boards but after this July you'll hear a lot more about him. Many scouts love his ability to handle the ball. He has a great feel for getting his teammates involved and will ultimately be a great lead guard at the college level.

He still has things to improve on and that's his main focus this summer. "My defense, decision making and strength are the three things that I'm trying to improve the most," he said.

Jorgenson may be the best kept secret in the state of Missouri. He has really made a good impression on coaches during the July live period.

He's just a shade under 6-foot but that hasn't stopped his game at all. He was selected to the Class 5 Second Team in the state of Missouri behind guards like Brad Beal and BJ Young. He also led his team to a 24-6 record and averaged around six assist per game.

He shined at the Adidas Invitational impressing many coaches with his ability to break his defender down off the dribble and compete at a high level.

He certainly has potential to be a high-major guard in the class of 2013. With so many teams coming at him, Jorgenson said, "I don't really have any leaders right now, I'm just trying to keep my options open and continue working hard."