Sunday, July 3, 2011

Jamal Lewis Talks Penn Commitment

Penn's biggest need this year could easily be the backcourt and the Quakers received big news from guard Jamal Lewis (Sidwell Friends, DC) when he ended his recruitment.

"I chose Penn for a number of reasons, he said. "I'm from a family where education is very important and I feel like the opportunities I can receive at Penn will help me shape a better life for myself and ultimately make my parents proud."

Lewis chose Penn over George Washington, Harvard, VCU, William & Mary and Yale.

"They have a great tradition," he said. Penn is in the top-10 in wins and they really care about what they do on the basketball court. So joining that legacy was really important to me.

"I love what coach [Jerome Allen] is doing with the program and I just want to be apart of it."

Lewis, one of the most gifted on the court is just as impressive off the court. On his final shortlist of colleges were Ivy leagues schools, which shows you his dedication in the classroom. "Academics aren't a concern," he said.

"I don't have to take the SAT anymore and my grades are fine. I just have to keep doing what I'm doing in school and I should get in with flying colors."

On the court, Lewis, a 6-0 combo guard has made huge strides trying to make a transformation to the one. He has the ability to lead a team and you got a glimpse of that this past high school season.

Lewis finished the season averaging 16.1 points, 5.7 rebounds, 4.4 assist and 2.3 steals. Not to mention, leading Sidwell Friends to a 20-7 (9-3) record. But, Lewis understands that is only a start.

"They want me to keep making guys around me better," he said. "They see my potential to be a leader so they really want me to continue doing that."

He'll have his chance during this July evaluation period. But along with tweaking his point guard skills, Lewis is looking for other flaws as well.

"This AAU season, I'm really just focused on playing against some of the best guys in the country," he said.  "I'm focused on doing a good job on some of the best point guards in the country and see how I pane against them. That'll help me realize what I need to work on by going against these good guys."

Javan Felix checks out Baylor and Texas A&M


Javan Felix (Saint Augustine, LA), a 2012 point guard prospect, recently took an unofficial to both Baylor and Texas A&M. "Everything went really well," he said of both visits.

He learned a lot from his unofficial and some of the coaching staff at A&M are from his hometown of Louisiana.

Arizona, Miami and UCLA are also in the mix to nab the talented lead guard as well. "I would like to [set up visits] but it's not really set in stone yet."

Felix, like most of the other prospects, is focused on having a monster July.