Thursday, June 30, 2011

Kahlil Dukes Keeping His Options Open

There is no doubt that Kahlil Dukes (Capital Prep Magnet, CT) is amongst the top athletes in the state of Connecticut.

As a freshman, Dukes lead all freshman nationally and the state of Connecticut in scoring averaging 29.1 points per game to go along with 3.3 assist, 2.7 steals and 2.6 rebounds.

This past season, his scoring took a huge dip when he only averaged 14.8 per game but that didn't necessarily mean it was a down year.

Most college scouts were worried about his ability to take the helm at the next level and he wasn't a stranger to the criticism.

"I'm looking to become more of a point guard and make others around me better," he said. "Everyone looks at me as a small two guard, so I'm just trying to become a point guard who can score whenever it's needed.

Granted, Dukes was a 6-foot scoring machine and could score from virtually anywhere. Everyone witnessed his ability to score in bunches but most still wanted to see his ability to get his teammates involved.

But did I mention Dukes averaged 6.5 assist this past season, which was tops in the state of Connecticut? Not to mention, finishing inside the top 20 in assist of all sophomore guards nationally with 168 assist on the season.

His play this past season at Capital Prep was just a glimpse of how much improvement he's made to become a NCAA ready point guard.

Dukes lead Capital Prep to a 21-5 (9-0) record as a sophomore and the team has continued to improve its record every year.

Many colleges are starting to take notice and it won't be long before many others do the same. "My top five as far as who's recruiting me is Penn, Providence, UMass, Towson and Northwestern," Dukes said.

"I'm pretty open at the moment, I haven't visited any of them so that may change but right now I'm open."

Dukes plans to visit all the schools interested but on the eve of the July live period, his focus has shifted towards getting better and playing up to his full potential.

"I plan on visiting all of them before the fall comes," he said. "But I am really focused on the live period. There's no telling what my considerations will be if I play up to my full potential."

In terms of upside, Dukes has a lot of it and his natural ability will take him along way.

Justin Seymour focused on July

Justin Seymour (Campbell, GA) a rising senior guard is trying to make his case as one of the top guards in the state of Georgia. Seymour, who holds over 10 scholarship offers, is looking forward to a big July and has opened his recruitment up.

"None as of right now," he said of the schools he's considering. "I'm going to get more serious with my recruitment after July."

Seymour  holds offers from Charlotte, East Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Mississippi, Tennessee Tech, UTEP, VCU, Wichita State and Wofford. He also stated that, "[coaches] want to see me play the point."