Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Jaylen Bond Talks Prep School Decision

Posted by CoHoops DeAnte Mitchell
Jaylen Bond, a 6'7'' forward out of Plymouth-Whitemarsh Sr. H.S. (PA) signed his Letter of Intent to play for Jamie Dixon and the Pittsburgh Panthers during the early signing period in November.

Months later, Bond opted out of his LOI at Pitt and announced that he will attend prep school.

It was a well thought out decision and the right one. "The fact that I was young and needed to improve on my all around talents and small forward skills; the position I'm playing in college," Bond said of his decision to go to prep school.

"I think it will help me learn more under coach Quin and my skills will improve the most from the trainers during the summer."

Bond, in high school, played most of his basketball under the rim as a four man. He wasn't rated highly by most recruiting services but as the season progressed he really started opening eyes.

He's really done a good job of expanding his game outside of the paint. He now has the ability to face up and drive as well as shoot in the mid-range. Another year to tweak his wing skills will work wonders for the Pennsylvania native.

Out of high school, Bond held offers from La Salle, Penn State, St. Josephs, Temple and West Virginia. But since re-opening his recruitment, he hasn't heard from anybody.

"I haven't really talked to anyone since I decommitted from Pittsburgh and decided to go to prep school," Bond said. "I know some [schools] have contacted my grandfather."

Right now, Bond is "open to all schools" and will make a decision when the time is right. "Right now, I'm just trying to get better," Bond said.

"But, in the future, my family will get together and start making a list of potential schools." Right now, there are many factors that Bond will look for in a school.

"The program, the style of play, the coach, the school surroundings, the ability to have an impact as a freshman and being able to play the three," he said.

For more CoHoops news follow us on Twitter (@Collegiate_Hoop) or subscribe via email