Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Grant Secures First Big Win Against Kentucky

Posted by CoHoops DeAnte Mitchell
Down 20-points on the road against the Alabama Crimson Tide (11-7, 3-1 SEC) wasn't something John Calipari and his twelfth ranked Kentucky Wildcats (14-4, 2-2 SEC) envision.

One game removed from losing to Arkansas 70-65, and shooting 2-of-10 (20%) from deep, Alabama picked up its first marquee win on the season.

Alabama deserved this win after taking the lead with 11:01 left in the first half and not allowing Kentucky to get back into the game.

JaMychal Green paced Alabama with 18-points, and 11 rebounds on 7-of-15 (46%) shooting. "I just knew i had to come out here and give it my all and that's what I did," said Green following his magnificent performance.

"I wanted to win badly and my teammates did a great job on offense and defense."

Sophomore Tony Mitchell provided his contributions to the upset loss of Kentucky. Mitchell scored 15 points, and grabbed seven rebounds, despite picking up his fourth personal foul with 10-minutes left to play.

"I just helped my team as much as possible," said Mitchell. "I tried to do whatever I can to contribute to my team."

This loss places Alabama at (3-1) and in the driver seat of the SEC conference. With a solid core of players in Green, Mitchell, and freshmen Trevor Releford, Alabama could be looking at its first SEC divisional championship since '05.

For Kentucky, the Wildcats drops to (2-2) and is now tied for third place in the SEC East.

For more CoHoops news follow us on Twitter (@Collegiate_Hoop) or subscribe via email